- Trailer - English version
- Episode 1 - french version - 52' (1/4)
- Episode 1 - english version - 52' (1/4)
- Episode 2 - french version - 52' (2/4)
- Episode 2 - english version - 52' (2/4)
- Episode 3 - french version - 52' (3/4)
- Episode 3 - english version - 52' (3/4)
- Episode 4 - french version - 52' (4/4)
- Episode 4 - english version - 52' (4/4)
- Episode 1 - french version - 55' (1/2)
- Episode 1 - english version - 55' (1/2)
- Episode 2 - french version - 55' (2/2)
- Episode 2 - english version - 55' (2/2)
After years of war and chaos, Iraq has been destroyed materially and culturally. Almost two million Iraqis have died since 1980. How could this happen?
From the very first days of the Iran-Iraq War in 1980 to the war in 2003 and the fall of ISIS in 2017, this compelling series retraces the destruction of Iraq over the past 40 years.
To understand what lies behind such a tragedy, one has to go back to the start, in the early 1980s, and examines geopolitical relations between Iraq, the United States and the major international powers who clashed due to national interests. Lies, betrayal, manipulation, and fabricated information all played a part in the downfall of this nation.
Through the testimonies of some key figures – high ranked politicians, historians, civilians – the collapse of Iraq will be entirely told for the first time. Thanks to some exclusive access and recently declassified documents, this geopolitical thriller will throw a fresh light on a tragedy that reshaped the world we live in.
Direction: Jean-Pierre Canet
Production: Tohubohu & Slug News for France Télévisions
Photo: © Chris Hondros / Getty Images via AFP
Available versions: French, English
- FESTIVAL INTERNATIONAL DU FILM D'HISTOIRE - MONTRÉAL
- Official selection